Left Brain Dominant Vs Right Brain Dominant
Which part of the brain do you tend to use the most?
Before we get into the depth of how a brain functions, take this small quiz that will help you analyze if you are a left brain dominant person or a right brain dominant person.
1. How would you prefer to spend your free time?
a. Solving crosswords
b. Listening to music
2. How do you remember the person you recently met?
a. By name
b. By face
3. Your child wants to listen to a story. What would you do?
a. Read a book
b. Create a story & narrate
4. What were your favourite subjects in school?
b. Social Studies
5. Do you make a list when you go shopping?
Here is the analysis of the choices you made:
If you chose the option ‘a’ as your answer for all the questions, then you are Left Brain Dominant.
If you chose the option ‘b’ as your answer for all the questions, then you are Right Brain Dominant.
If you chose a combination of more ‘a’ and few ‘b’, you are Left Brain Dominant.
If you chose a combination of more ‘b’ and few ‘a’, you are Right Brain Dominant.
As a parent each one of us aspires to bring out the best from our children. A lot of us want our children to be all rounders. However, every child is different and so are their brain capabilities. While one child could be interested and more inclined towards art and craft the other would be an expert in logical thinking. Then there are those who excel in both the areas. Have you ever wondered why this is so?Well, it’s all about brain work!
How does a Brain function?
The Cerebrum of our brain is divided into two hemispheres-the left hemisphere and right hemisphere.Each hemisphere controls the opposite side of the body. Not all functions of the hemispheres are shared. According to the left-brain, right-brain dominance theory, the right side of the brain is best at expressive and creative tasks. Some of the abilities popularly associated with the right side of the brain include :
- Recognizing faces
- Expressing emotions
- Creating music
- Reading emotions
- Appreciating color
- Using imagination
- Being intuitive
- Being creative
The left-side of the brain is considered to be adept at tasks that involve logic, language, and analytical thinking. The left-brain is described as being better at:
- Critical thinking
The left hemisphere is also dominant in hand use and language in about 92% of people.
Traits of Left brain thinkers
- Analytical thinking makes them enjoy doing logical and reasoning activities
- They have better ability to retain verbal information
- They are precise, cautious and calculative in choosing reality vs fiction
- Realism predominates their brain
- They are organised and goal oriented
- They are rational when it comes to making decisions
Traits of Right brain thinkers
- They are emotional and impulsive in their behavior
- A bit disorganized, emotional, philosophical in nature and like spontaneity
- Their problem solving skills are emotionally driven and intuitive in nature
- They are imaginative, creative and intuitive
- They are good with capturing looks, facial expressions and feelings
However, a brain can be trained through activities such that the less dominant side of the hemisphere can get a boost to be utilized to its fullest potential. While Meditation is considered the best way to strike a balance between both the sides of the brain, here are some quick activities that can boost each side of the brain to perform better:
Left Brain Exercises:
- Solving math problems
- Solving puzzles
- Learning a new language
- Playing games that require imagination
- Playing intelligence and strategy games
Right Brain Exercises:
- Playing an instrument
- Writing and composing
- Playing games that require imagination
Encourage your child to use both sides in a balance because the right brain and the left brain complete each other else the more used side of the brain becomes more functional and the less used side becomes lazy. After all, the brain works on the principle ‘We build what we use’.
About the Author: HeyCloudy, The StoryLearning App is a screen-free Audio stories app for children between 2-8 years. HeyCloudy actively advocates “Parenting Through Stories” and helps new parents to prepare their child to be a happy and productive adult.